[time-nuts] Bad batch of HP10811's

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
Wed Jan 17 03:26:06 EST 2007

Dear All,

Luckily I haven't had anything to do with the "she" from Ebay. However,
working on the university, sometimes with a low budget, we once bought a
second hand spectrum analyzer. We didn't buy through Ebay, but from a
well known professional second hand seller in Europe. When the unit
arrived, one of the handles was bent in such a way that someone must
have noticed before shipping. There was no shipping damage on the
outside of the box, so it must have happened at the seller.
When I contacted them, they said it was impossible an instrument would
have left their shop with such damage.... I didn't want to start a big
discussion and agreed on getting a "new" handle. The instrument itself
worked perfect (luckily :-) ).
My point: There is no warranty when buying second hand equipment. (Not
even new equipment, which sometimes arrives working not at all (no it
wasn't cheap "China-made" stuff)). Even professional sellers make
"mistakes". So always be carefull, and check carefully what you get!

Regards, Jeroen

Jason Rabel wrote:

>Yeah I just realized after reading my post it was kind of missing a few key
>details.
>
>It was actually an one of those 10811-60155's from the initial big batch on
>eBay that I sent back (never tested) because one of the standoffs was bent
>so it wouldn't mount properly. I didn't want to try re-bending the standoff
>back for fear of damaging the unit. Also, the standoff was bent outwards, if
>it was dropped or something it would have bent in. She who shall remain
>nameless said it was okay and would mail a refund (since she didn't have
>another to exchange it with at the time, and admitted wanting to keep one
>for herself to tinker with), but today it shows back up on my doorstep after
>nearly a month with a note. *sigh*
>
>Basically the note said she would have noticed the standoff being bent that
>much and that it didn't happen in her shop (yet there is no way it could
>have happened during shipping, and I certainly didn't do it). But then also
>that she tested it out and well, the info I gave you before.
>
>If you want to see a pic of the bent standoff, here's what I'm talking
>about.
>
>http://www.rabel.org/archives/Images/Misc/
>
>I'm going to hook it up tomorrow when I get to the office and see what
>happens. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't... I'll report back with some
>more detailed findings either way.
>
>I have to admit, the evil side of me is hoping that it doesn't work, just so
>I have an excuse to take it apart and see the inner workings. *grin*
>
>Side Note - Didn't get a chance to tinker with my shera board today with all
>the suggestions everyone gave, it was just one thing after another at the
>office and before I knew it the whole day was shot.
>
>Jason
>

>>The oscillator and oven run on separate power supplies.
>>Your posting is ambiguous.  I don't know whether you
>>are talking about the oscillator or the oven.
>>
>>Rick

Ing. Jeroen Bastemeijer

Delft University of Technology
Department of Electrical Engineering