[time-nuts] Magellan ASCII messages

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jan 19 22:16:38 EST 2007

> I have discovered that the receiver, on one of its ports (the aux
> port), is putting out Magellan ASCII strings prefixed with $PMGLK.

Looks like NMEA stuff.

I haven't found the NMEA specs on line.  Looks like they (nmea.org) want BIG$
for it.  I have found various pieces in specs from various manufacturers that
use it.

I think the PM is either a manufacturer code or a source/dest tag.  I didn't
have any luck with google when looking for the GLK sentence.  Maybe I didn't
ask the right question.

> On the sending side, the Odetics sends a series of commands to the
> receiver at power-up, all prefixed with $PMGLI. I've not been able to
> find any data on these strings at all.

That's probably turning something on or off.

I've worked with a few NMEA devices.  The normal operation is that they send
a set of "sentences" every second or every N seconds.  They have some default
pattern and usually a tiny flash chip to store the current settings.  My
guess is the PMGLI is just smashing the GPS card to the "right" mode.