[time-nuts] Concern over Daylight Saving Time

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Jan 20 11:37:52 EST 2007

Bruce Lane said the following on 01/20/2007 11:33 AM:
> Good morning,

> On 20-Jan-07 at 09:36 Mike Suhar wrote:
>
>> Not so.  Even Windows time service uses UTC so the local PC must have the
>> time zone set correctly for the hour to be correct. If this was not the
>> case
>> PC in remote offices that sync with our Ohio based domain controller would
>> only get eastern time.  I don't think our California based employees would
>> take to kindly to that.
>
> 	What I'm getting at is that (as one example) all the systems on our network are configured to set their clock according to NTP broadcast messages that are sent from the time server (a Symmetricom/TrueTime NTS-200) on our LAN.
>
> 	This means that our systems will listen for, and set themselves to, whatever the 200 puts out as a time message, no matter what time of year it is. It is easily possible to disable the automated DST changeover on both Windows and *nix-based systems.
>
> 	So: Given that, and assuming a similar configuration, I still believe that many places will only need to make sure their time server is set correctly.

Bruce, I may be misreading you, so apologies in advance, but NTP talks
only UTC; it has no concept whatever of local time zones.  Any
conversion to DST has to happen on the client boxes; if they don't have
the right dates in their timezone file (no matter what the OS), there's
nothing that NTP can do to override that.

John