[time-nuts] Concern over Daylight Saving Time

Mike Suhar msuhar at woh.rr.com
Sat Jan 20 21:04:07 EST 2007

Windows 2000 does not have a patch.  You will have to run the utility from
the Windows 2000 resource kit that will allow you to change the date of the
daylight savings time switch over.  I thought it was called
tz<something>.exe but I found timezone.exe on my Windows 2000 system:

C:\Program Files\Resource Pro Kit>timezone /?

Daylight Saving Time Update Utility Version 1.2
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1997. All rights reserved

TIMEZONE [/?] [/g | /s StartDate EndDate]

  /?: Command line help
  /g: Get the current timezone
  /s: Set a new timezone
  StartDate: Date that Daylight Saving Time begins
  EndDate: Date that Daylight Saving Time ends

  StartDate and EndDate use format:  Hour:DayOfWeek:Day:Month
    Hour: 00-23 (specifies the hour)
    DayOfWeek: 0-6 (specifies the day of the week; Sunday = 0, Monday = 1,
                    and so on)
    Day : 1-5 (specifies the occurrence of day in the month; 1 = first
               occurrence of day, 2 = second occurrence of day, ..., 5 =
last
               occurrence of day)
               (if DayOfWeek is Sunday, then 1 = first Sunday, 4 = fourth
               Sunday, 5 = last Sunday)
    Month: 01-12 (specifies the month; January = 1, February = 2, and so on)

Example:

  TIMEZONE /s 02:0:5:04 02:2:1:10

    Timezone will be changed to:
    Daylight Saving Time begins at 2:00 on last Sunday in April (02:0:5:04)
    Daylight Saving Time ends at 2:00 on forth Tuesday in October
(02:2:4:10)