[time-nuts] Magellan ASCII messages

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Sat Jan 20 21:24:16 EST 2007

On Sat, January 20, 2007 17:29, Bruce Lane said:
> Good day,

>>> Looks like NMEA stuff.
>
> 	No, NMEA messages all start with '$GP.'

Not quite correct... GP is the prefix for GPS receivers. NMEA is about
many more instruments that you connect together in a serial net onboard
your boat. There is echofinder, radar, compass, displays, velocity log,
etc that want to share/display information from the various electronic
sensors onboard boats.

> 	I have since found out that the 'PM' message series is a proprietary code
> dedicated to Magellan. The bad news is that Magellan no longer has any
> documentation on these codes, as they have gone to NMEA for their current
> stuff.

Magellan does not have a dedicated message prefix. They use the same as
everyone else, when they want to send stuff that does not fit into the
predefined GPS-messages. PMXXX is also NMEA, but as said a "nonstandard"
message.

--

    Björn