[time-nuts] Serial Port Logging Script?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Jan 22 00:40:38 EST 2007

> Does anyone have a simple Perl (or C) script to write data from a
> serial port to a file? Preferably something with no dependencies, but
> I don't mind having to install a couple Perl modules if need be.

Most terminal programs have a log-to-file option.

> I tried the logserial program that I found in the FreeBSD ports tree,
> but it keeps putting extra returns in between each row of data.

Is that a CR vs CR/LF mixup?  If so, record it however you can and clean out
the LFs later.  I used to have scripts that converted from one mode to
another.  I think one used sed and the other used awk.

If it really is an extra blank line, that should be reasonably easy to filter
out.