[time-nuts] 10811 Repair (was warmup / bad batch)

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 22 21:37:01 EST 2007

Dr Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> Jason Rabel wrote:
>
>> What voltage goes to the crystal? I may have had my scope scale too high and
>> just didn't notice, but at first glance I don't think it was getting power.
>>
>> Jason

Jason

Since the oscillator circuit is checked by substituting a 10uH inductor
for the crystal then the crystal impedance must be around
50 + j628 ohms at the circuit resonance.
The trimmer network has an impedance of -j568 ohms and the common base
transistor has an input impedance of about 8 ohms plus an inductance of
a few nanohenries.
with a 1mA crystal current the voltage across R4 is consequently about
80mV rms.

Bruce