[time-nuts] Neat toys on eBay for PN measurement

Grant Hodgson grant at ghengineering.co.uk
Tue Jul 10 08:47:33 EDT 2007

John

Don't know if you got an answer, but this is my understanding :-

The 11729B needs to have an external 640MHz reference input for
measurements above 1280MHz.  The 11729C has a SAW-based 640MHz
oscillator built-in, but it can take an external 640MHz reference signal
if one is available, such as from the 8662A.

The spec. for the 11729C internal 640MHz osc is not as good as that of
the 8662A at offsets of up to about 20kHz or so, but at offsets above
50kHz the 11729C SAW is better than the 8662A's xtal osc.

AFAIK, there is no physical difference between an 8662A with and without
option 03.  All this option does is mean that somebody has done an extra
set of measurements on the 640MHz reference output to confirm that it
did indeed meet the spec.  There was also an option H40 which had an
even lower noise 10MHz reference which reduced the phase noise at
offsets up to about 100Hz by 8dB for both the main output and the 640MHz
reference output.

Also, the 640MHz reference input to the 11729 does not have to be phase
locked - as long as it does not drift at a rate outside the 11729's PLL
hold-in range then it will work.  The 11729's PLL will pull the signal
generator to compensate for drift in either of the two reference inputs
(640MHz and/or external signal generator).

I've got an 11729B, but no 8662A, so I've started working on the design
of a very-low phase noise 640MHz source based on an 80MHz crystal osc.
But until that's ready, I've still been able to make measurements below
1280MHz without the external reference input.  The Racal 9087 is a
suitable reference signal generator up to 1.3GHz, which can be phase
locked, and at offsets greater than about 1kHz it actually has lower
phase noise than the 8662A.  Other low-noise generators are also
avaialble...

And for those that can't resist tinkering with the fine offerings from
the HP labs, I've been wondering if it would be possible or practical to
replace the internal Step-Recovery Diode comb generator in the 11729B/C
with one of the Non-Linear Transmission Line comb generators from
Picosecond Pulse Labs.  PsPL are quoting a 15-20dB reduction in phase
noise for their NTL comb generator compared to an SRD.  Seems almost too
good to be true; don't know how much they cost for one-offs but it would
be interesting to see if it could be used to reduce the residual phase
noise of the 11729.

regards

Grant