[time-nuts] Cs stability

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue Jul 17 03:31:07 EDT 2007

> Yes it can make sense.
> Place one Cs clock in a chamber where the ambient temperature can be
> adjusted to various fixed temperatures. Compare the phase of its
> 5/10MHz  and/or PPS outputs with respect to those of another Cs standard
> held at constant temperature.

Bruce,

I'm not sure I follow this. Yes, you will see a phase shift but
how can you tell how much of said shift is due to a fixed
phase shift (as if it were cable phase tempco) vs. how much
is due to phase shift due to frequency offset (as if it were
oscillator frequency tempco)? No change in temperature is
instantaneous; during the (slow) change both phase and
frequency (equals phase change over time) may change.

/tvb