[time-nuts] Metastability in a 100 MHz TIC

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Jul 20 20:10:45 EDT 2007

Bruce,

I like your point about the random quantization error in the
sawtooth. Yes, that would help the noise by a few dB.

On the other hand it would also seem the 10 ns resolution
of the TIC is the limiting factor (by an order of magnitude)
over the 1 ns resolution limit of the sawtooth corrections,
so improving the quality of the sawtooth corrections has
limited gain.

Now, I'd still like to pursue the issue of noise in the 100 MHz
oscillator. Do we agree one doesn't need a cesium for this?
Or even an XO?

True, you want some accuracy in the 100 MHz. But the counts
are only integers from 0 to 160 so the accuracy requirement
is just 3 digits, 0.1% (so cheap quartz, at 1e-6, or cesium, at
1e-13, is extreme overkill). I mean, almost anything wiggling at
100.0 MHz will serve as an adequate timebase.

Also, as you point out, instability or jitter is your friend, not
your enemy in this case. Would it be possible to introduce
the +/- 5 ns jitter deliberately in the 1pps trigger level instead
of in the timebase? I.e., slow down the rising edge enough
so that you get jitter for free?

Another solution might be to deliberately choose an inaccurate
and unstable oscillator; use the 1pps to count oscillator cycles
per second, as well as to count the time interval. The larger
count can be used to calibrate the smaller count on every count.
This gives all the jitter you need and avoids any injection issues.

While you're at it, how about N of these oscillators, each making
its own out of phase measurement of the same OCXO-GPS 1pps.
Another couple of dB of resolution...

/tvb