[time-nuts] solar flares and cesium drift

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 9 05:46:41 EDT 2007

Hi all, it seems this one is sorted out now, though i am not sure what the
final decision was....I guess you thought it was was Loran chain drift.
For reference this site at Colorado Univ plots the index Dst which is a
measure of the disturbance to the geomagnetic field by electrons/ions
trapped in the Equatorial Ring Current. You can see the 5th was quiet
compared with the 6th, but even then the variations are miniscule +/- 20nT
in around 50,000nT a severe storm will give a shift of around -400nT
http://lasp.colorado.edu/space_weather/dsttemerin/dsttemerin.html
Geomagnetic events usually lag associated flares by 48 to 56 hours.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK