[time-nuts] Antenna recommendation for Timing Amateur

Don Johnson true-cal at swbell.net
Thu Jun 14 13:14:49 EDT 2007

Jim,

You may not have to have an amplified antenna but it will work best by providing stronger signals thus allowing more SV to be tracked at any given time. This would be especially true during heavy rain periods.

The primary difference between a timing antenna and anything otherwise is a design that limits reception path length differences at all elevations and azimuths. The physical appearance of a timing antenna is usually a bullet shape or small dome compared to a big square. The precise point in the antenna that provides the highest SNR to all of the currently received SVs at any elevation and azimuth is where the timing phase differences are determined. Any difference in this being a single precise point vs. multiple points that move around within the antenna’s gain pattern would define the antenna’s phase error.

Don J.
True-Cal Services