[time-nuts] Ebay 5071A scam back again?

Dan Rae danrae at verizon.net
Tue Jun 26 10:43:47 EDT 2007

GandalfG8 at aol.com wrote:

>Hi All
>
>Am I right in thinking this is another EbayUK repeat of the dodgy  5071A
>auction that was listed a week or so ago?

Nigel, probably yes.  Some of the characters go on for weeks or months
with the same phony ads but with new or newly hi-jacked seller
identities.  There was one Racal dual receiver ebay ad, originally for
real,  that appeared over and over again at intervals for months, maybe
thirty or forty times in all...   It  sometimes used to take eBay days
to pull and NARU them, I would sometimes bid just to see how long they
did take, and also tell eBay, but that is a pretty thankless task.

The tell tale signs are many, asking for Western Union Money orders,
soliciting direct contact and so on.  Looking at the seller's other
items will give a clue often, if there are pages of lots of presumably
desirable goodies like Plasma TVs, laptops etc., listed very cheap.

The 5071 is quite a sophisticated item for the usual run of the mill
scammer though.  An odd choice.

73
Dan
ac6ao / g3ncr