[time-nuts] External clock for Analog to Digital Converter inGPS Rx front-end

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Sat Mar 3 09:42:05 EST 2007

Hi,
HP was using in their 500MHz counter 5345A a noise generator
(zener diode with amplifier on PC board 'A8 PLL Multiplier Noise Generator
board') to modulate via a varactor and a tank circuit the 10 MHz
reference frequency coming from the ocxo 10811A.
"4-126, As the erratic changes in noise affect CR12's capacitance, the
phase of the 10 MHz signal shifts rapidly. The result ia a 500 MHz time base
signal that is phase modulated so rapidly and erratically that it cannot be
harmonically related to any input signal."
Intersting technique, easy to follow.
Is that what was searched, would such a circuit help?
The manual is freely available via the net as .pdf.
Perhaps that board, cannibalized from an old counter, could be used...
I think it is necessary for TIC to get statistically correct intermediate
counts.

cheers,
Arnold, DK2WT