[time-nuts] FreeBSD with Garmin GPS 18 LVC

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Mar 3 18:38:49 EST 2007

There is lots of info on the Garmin GPA-18-LVC over here:
  http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringGarminRefclocks

>> server 127.127.20.1  mode 1   prefer
The "mode 1" part says to use the GPRMC sentences.  Is your GPS setup to send
them automatically?

>> fudge 127.127.20.1 time1 0.000   flag3 1 refid PPS
I'd leave off the flag3 until you get it off the ground.

>  AFAIK the prefer must be on a server-line. It tells ntpd what server
> numbers the seconds. You should probably hand pick a server for that
> purpose.

The PPS/ATOM driver uses the prefer keyword to identify another driver so it
can do the which-second logic.

Driver 20 is NMEA.  It does it's own PPS thing and doesn't need the prefer
trick.