[time-nuts] GPS ant info

Randy Warner randy at geodetics.com
Tue Mar 6 12:06:42 EST 2007

Rob et al,

Be careful with the VIC-100 gain spec. When Aromat originally designed it
for HP back in the late 90's, they assigned the 30dB spec as an "absolutely,
positively, under any circumstances, will never be lower" number. The VIC's
actually run in the 38-40dB range. When I was working at Synergy we
complained numerous times about the number because it was so far from
reality. We had numerous cases of receivers being overloaded due to the spec
being so far off. This was especially true of the old VP timing receivers as
these would start to saturate at around +26dB of external gain (LNA gain
minus cable losses).

For example, using the stated numbers, using the 30dB number running into a
cable with 8dB of loss would result in a net 22dB to the VP, which is
perfect. However, a 38dB antenna with a -8dB cable would result in a net
+30dB at the front end of the VP. With this external gain the VP would most
likely be VERY unhappy. You guys running the old Odetics/HP/Symmetricom
timing boxes should keep this in mind.

This can be hard to troubleshoot as the symptoms of overdrive look much the
same as the symptoms of too little signal: low C/No's, satellites dropping
in and out of sync, etc. In the case of the VP, it will just stop tracking
anything.

Note on the new Panasonic VIC-100 datasheet that they changed the spec to
38dB typical.

Randy