[time-nuts] An Excellent Tutorial on Precision Clocks

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Thu Mar 15 05:54:13 EDT 2007

From: Dr Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] An Excellent Tutorial on Precision Clocks
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:47:41 +1300

> Tom Clark, K3IO wrote:
> >    I just stumbled on an excellent tutorial on low-noise clocks --
> >    National Semiconductors free downloadable "[1]Clock Conditioner
> >    Owner's Manual". This 88 page document is a 3.7 MB PDF.
> >    73 de Tom, K3IO
> >
> > References
> >
> >    1. http://www.national.com/appinfo/interface/files/clk_conditioner_owners_manual.pdf
> >

> Tom
>
> Not bad except they give inaccurate formulae for stripline and
> microstripline characteristic impedance.
> Will these inaccurate formulae ever go away?
> They've been around since the 1970's.
> When with the trace widths and board thickness then in use the accuracy
> wasn't too bad.
> However they are not very useful for modern PCB design.

The "Transmission Line Design Handbook" of Brian C. Wadell is where you should
go for solving real problems. Even when you have fancy tools like field
solvers, this is where you should start never the less. The amount of research
that went into that book is amazing. Not only did he do an extensive research
on published articles, but he also verified them in field solvers and created
closed form formulas that has been checked against field solvers.

The "Black Magic" and "Advanced Black Magic" books should also have their place
at armlengths distance from your chair.

These books go beyond the school math formulas for oversimplified situations.
They are tied to practical issues in a world outside of the university walls.

Get them, I warmly recommend them and I can testify that they have been very
valuable to me and my firm. Whenever we have encountered signal integrity
issues, these books have proved valuable.

Cheers,
Magnus