[time-nuts] Question for the cesium nuts.

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Fri Mar 16 15:36:13 EDT 2007

From: "Jack Hudler" <jack at hudler.org>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Question for the cesium nuts.
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:25:47 -0500

> Which begs the question of; who's cesium standard will we buy in surplus
> market?
>
> Besides you guys (Symmetricom), who is building Cesium standards that
> haven't yet been absorbed by Symmetricom? (note this is not meant to be
> derogatory).

Oscilloquartz. I beleive that they have Symmetricom tubes in them.

Actually that would raise questions regarding to second-source for serious
telecom operators. Fortunatly for them, GPS clocks is usually enought.

I beleive there was a Russian Cesium-maker, but if I recall correctly they
stopped doing Cesium clocks.

> >From my POV (which could be myopic), a few CBT manufacturers are controlling
> what remains of this market (no I'm not a conspiracy nut, it's just
> business), so it seems to me that the surplus market is going to get very
> thin in the near future.

It is really just buisness decissions behind it. Weither they where wise or not
is another issue. Joint buissnesses is not always beneficial (see second-source
comment).

Cheers,
Magnus