[time-nuts] The Big Picture

Keith E. Brandt, M.D. wd9get at amsat.org
Sat Mar 17 13:14:30 EDT 2007

I've been doing a lot of reading recently on time-related topics.
There's a lot of good info out there on time theory, the physics of
atomic clocks, time transfer, etc, but little on practical precision
time measurement, a topic on which there are numerous experts on this
list. Therefore I'd like to pick the collective brains of the group
on the practical matter of setting up a time reference.

Let's say that I pick up a used 5071a. What would it take to set it
up as an accurate standard? What other equipment would I need? How do
you sync it to UTC? What if I wanted to start with a less expensive
rubidium reference? Are there pearls and pitfalls on interconnecting
equipment? How about monitoring techniques?

If I've missed some good references out there on the nuts and bolts
of the hobby, please point me in the right direction.

Keith

LtCol Keith E. Brandt, MD, MPH
USAF-NASA Aerospace Medicine Liaison Officer
Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas
wd9get at amsat.org

Goodbye cruel world that was my home-
   there's cleaner space out here to roam
Put my feet up on the moons of Mars-
   sit back, relax, and count the stars

*This message transmitted with 100% recycled electrons