[time-nuts] Government Liquidation

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Mon Mar 19 13:57:25 EDT 2007

Hi Jason:

I don't recommend GL as a source unless:
1) you understand the exact meaning of the Condition Codes, and
2) you physically go to the location and preview the lot, and
3) you know the product you are looking at, and
4) you have the self control to not get into a bidding war (no sniping,
they just extend the closing time), and
5) you personally pick up the items, and
6) you're willing to gamble that you won't have to return any or all of
what you purchased.

If you fail at any step then there's a chance you'll end up with junk,
something else or nothing.  Maybe they get some of this stuff from a
dumpster.

With diligence it's possible to overcome the first 5 provisos, but the
last one can be a problem.  On more than one occasion GL has mistakenly
sold an item that was not supposed to be sold.  In that case the
government (not GL) comes and get the items.  If they required an End
User Certificate then you are on the hook to account for all items
including the contact information of any buyers.  If  you sold an item
your buyer will expect a refund from you.  You may expect a refund from
GL, but how long you wait for it is not specified.

The same problem exists with eBay.  In my case after purchasing and
receiving a GPS receiver I was contacted by the DOD and they sent a
couple of people to my house to collect the GPS receiver and gave me a
receipt.  I got to sign a chain of evidence form to be used at the trial
of the eBay seller on his way to jail.  I'm out what I paid.  After the
trial I'm free to sue the seller.

Although I'm signed up and have the EUC, I no longer even look at the
auctions with the intent of buying anything.  I do use GL to see what's
being sold.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke

w/Java http://www.PRC68.com