[time-nuts] Question for the cesium nuts.

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Mar 24 02:29:43 EDT 2007

> That reminds me of a tester I got to see while I was working on a
> project for Motorola at one of their ALT (accelerated life test) labs.
>  This was for testing durability of cell phones. The tester basically
> was a pendulum that was about three feet high. At the base, you placed
> the PUT (phone under test), and you pulled the pendulum up to a
> specified angle and let it go.  It would swing down and whack the
> phone across the room into a target.  Amazing what they'll handle!

My digital camera died recently.  (Well, it was killed.  I gave it a bath in
salt water when I miss-judged a wave at the ocean.)

I went to the local brick and mortar camera store to get a replacement.
After I told the guy what I was interested in, he brought out several
possibilities.

He dropped one of them on the floor from normal hand/chest height.  It was
still working after he picked it up.  I forget the brand, but somebody was
willing to put their reputation on the line.