[time-nuts] Ultra low phase noise floor measurement system for RF devices.

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri Mar 30 22:04:05 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/30/2007 12:26:46 Pacific Daylight Time,
cfmd at bredband.net writes:

Until  I've actually read the paper, ask yourself how our GPS receivers is
able
to  track signals below their internal noise.

There are a number of tricky  aspects involved in doing that and I beleive the
paper goes into those. I  have it in print here and will read it as I come
back
home.

Cheers,
Magnus

Weekend reading for me too :)

But GPS uses highly correlated 'noise' which allows the payload  data to be
below the noise floor through simple correlation since the noise  is expected
to be random.

Just wondering about the numbers, -200dBc/Hz is 10 Billion times smaller
than the carrier, and that's in terms of voltage leves - power is that number
squared...

bye,
Said