[time-nuts] Piezo 2810007-1 Drive Strength?

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Wed May 9 11:42:46 EDT 2007

I picked up one of those Pizeo 2810007-1 oscillators from a guy downtown. I
was going to take it apart to see how it compared to the HP 10544A/10811,
but they soldered the lid! So much for that idea (I don't have the heart to
kill a perfectly good oscillator)...

Anyhow, does anyone know if it can drive a 50 Ohm load like the 10811? I
remember reading that the 10544A can't (or isn't) supposed to drive such low
resistance, so I figured it would be safer to ask first.

Interesting bit of information, the guy deals with military surplus
hardware, his warehouse is like a goldmine of neat stuff. Anyhow, he had
several old military (AF) 5328A's. The NIB units had genuine HP 10811
oscillators, but all the 'reconditioned' units had the Pizeo's. Could there
of been a bad batch of HP oscillators way back when? (I can ask him for the
date on the reconditioning tag.) *Maybe* they originally had 10544A's and
were upgraded to a 10811 equivalent (i.e. the Piezo units)? Maybe they were
reconditioned after HP stopped making the 10811's and thus only 3rd party
sources are available? When did HP stop making / selling the 10811's? I do
recall seeing some engraving on one of the piezo units that a person tested
it in 85.

He has a couple more listed on eBay (with the military adapter board), you
could probably pick one up cheap (cheaper than a plain 10811), and I know
they all work as I tested them out when I was there. I don't think they have
seen any use since the counters got 'reconditioned'. His eBay username is:
hyde2

On a similar note with all the vintage stuff, he has an old Carol
Electronics OS-8E/U oscilloscope (from the 50's?), with manual and
everything (on eBay). IIRC he said this was one of the first portable
oscilloscopes made for the navy.

Jason