[time-nuts] NTS-200 Antenna Power Mod

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Sat May 19 22:51:17 EDT 2007

I would be interested in seeing your solution, and I'm sure others would
too. I noticed a lot of the TrueTime/Symmetricom hardware uses a 12V antenna
voltage.

On a side-note, does your NTS have any nifty non-standard options? Some
pictures of the general inside would be neat.

Jason

PS: I have a TS2100 GPS & NTS-100 IRIG.

------------------------

Fellow clockers,

	I just got done reinstalling my TrueTime NTS-200 network time server
in a different rack. This required, among other things, installation of a
new antenna on the opposite side of the house from where my original one is.

	The new antenna was a Symmetricom/HP 58532A, which requires 5V bias.
Unfortunately, the NTS-200 was designed to supply 12V, and there is no easy
jumper or software setting to change that.

	So -- After a bit of work, I came up with a minimally-destructive
hardware modification to change the +12 feed to +5.

	If anyone else owns an NTS-200, and you've been wanting to use it
with a 5V antenna, drop me a note and I'll be happy to send you pictures and
details.

	Fair warning: It requires fine-point soldering, a bit of wire-wrap
wire, and a lot of patience.

	Keep the peace(es).