[time-nuts] HP E1938 oscillator

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sun May 27 16:32:22 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/27/2007 07:55:58 Pacific Daylight Time,
Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de writes:

>Hi  Said,
>private international shipment and customs is not that  problematic to my
>knowledge and experience, at least between the USA  and Europe.

>On Sat, 26 May 2007 20:39:23 EDT, SAIDJACK at aol.com  wrote:

Hi guys,

ok, so there are always two approaches: you can (try to) get away with
stuff, or follow the law. As long as they don't check closely you may get away
with it... There are 100's of thousands of lawyers in the US trying to make
sense of it all.

There is no clear answer such as "well these are old, don't work anymore, I
can get them for $1, thus there should be no problem in not declaring them
according to the export control requirements."

The CCL clearly talks about items such as "space qualified oscillators", or
"stability better than 1E-011" etc. I am not trying to advise anyone if these
units fall under the CCL or not - that's up to the exporter to determine. I
don't know if these were ever space qualified for example (in which case it
would deficiently be inadvisable not to declare them correctly).

It could be as easy as finding the item categories on the CCL, finding  out
that Great Britain is not on the prohibited country list (most likely it  won't
be) - and entering the correct harmonized code into the export  docs. Even an
export novice can do this in about 15 - 20  minutes.

In a job I had some time ago we were not even allowed to send any  schematics
or firmware outside of the country without export docs. They were  very
paranoid - because they got busted before!

Does anyone remember the export of the PGP source code? They published  a
printed book and sent it to Europe because they were not allowed to  export the
soft version of the code!

Then again will customs check? Probably not. But what if they do?

bye,
Said