[time-nuts] HP E1938 oscillator

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun May 27 22:46:37 EDT 2007

SAIDJACK at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/27/2007 16:10:46 Pacific Daylight Time,
> bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz writes:
>

>> Technical Notes:
>> 1.
>> A resolution of n bit corresponds  to a quantization of 2n levels.
>>

>> Random snippet from Supplement No1  to Part 774.
>>

>> Bruce
>>

> Hi Bruce,
>
> I have yet to figure it out too. That's why we have all these lawyers here
> in the US. What's even worse: if you give (well meant) advice, and the person
> get's into trouble, they can come after you  :(
>
> But I think in spirit the export controls mean: anything that is  of
> technical value, especially if it can be used militarily, needs to be under  very
> close control of the government.
>
> Then again most Western Countries are free of most export  restrictions.
>
> bye,
> Said

Said

As far as I have been able to ascertain the list of export controlled
items is virtually identical for most western countries and Russia.
There are some slight variations (mainly additions) between countries.
No doubt (for Russia at least) the country list classifications differ.

I stumbled over the local NZ list of export controlled items, as usual
purely by accident, when searching for something somewhat unrelated
(External cavity diode lasers).

As far as I can tell by perusing the complete CCL list (US version)
neither the E1938A nor any of its component parts is a controlled item.
It would take a creative interpretation by an incompetent lawyer to
apply the section on Atomic frequency standards to the E1938A which is
not by any stretch of the imagination an Atomic frequency standard. It
is not capable of being space qualified without substantial redesign nor
is it capable by design of achieving a drift of 1E-11 or less per month.

Since the US has no jurisdiction here I can give well intentioned advice
without worrying about prosecution (as long as I don't visit the US at
least).

Bruce