[time-nuts] Fury Interface Board: 5MHz needed?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed Nov 7 15:26:24 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/7/2007 11:24:39 Pacific Standard Time,
hmurray at megapathdsl.net writes:

>My  first guess is that it's a backwards compatibility mess.  Ages ago
>somebody made a part with a single ground pin and somebody used it in  some
>telco gear and everybody has been using the same footprint ever  since.  If
>that's the case, I'd expect there would also be a  variation with a second
>ground pin to get better  performance.

>How much better would their part be if they had a  second ground pin?

>Are they running temperature tests with the EFC  pin open so they don't see
>any problem as the heater current  changes?  (or something like that)

Yup, it's a legacy issue I think.

There are folks out there that know about this, I believe the HP  Oscillators
have separate grounds for this reason.

It's all about cost and compatibility. At the time they developed these
packages, one was probably lucky to get 1E-07  to 1E-08 stability out of  them.

Nowadays we are trying to get parts in the E-012 out of them - totally
different ballgame.

bye,
Said