[time-nuts] LORAN-C antenna

Carl Walker carl at icmp.com
Tue Nov 13 07:30:41 EST 2007

Bill is correct - 10V should do it; these couplers were fed DC up the
coax with ~10mH of choke from a circuit that could detect whether the
load of the amplifier was present or shorted (essentially "open" and
"short" DC antenna status bits so the unit could complain of errors in
the interconnection if required). That circuit supplied voltage that was
a couple Si drops away from the +V rail in the receiver. As long as the
emitter follower doesn't dissipate too much power, you're probably in a
satisfactory operating range for Vin - take a look across the output
resistor and calculate for your particular voltage.

These were the third generation of LORAN-C receivers I worked on at this
company. Now I do feel old.

Thanks for posting the schematic, Bill - having worked for them for so
many years I didn't feel all that comfortable doing so myself - although
now that you've done so, I can comment on it ;-)

-Carl