[time-nuts] Time-Nuts Archive?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Nov 18 15:01:11 EST 2007

Dr. David Kirkby said the following on 10/15/2007 05:02 PM:

> The reason Google does not index it is probably has something to do with
> the following line I see in the HTML:
>
>      <META NAME="robots" CONTENT="noindex,follow">

Following up an ancient message, but your sysadmin is getting back in
the swing of things after six plus weeks of functioning with one eye and
thereby falling way behind on things (I'm back to normal -- for me --
vision now, until I have the same procedure on the other eye early next
year and go through it all again).

I've looked into this indexing question, and the tag you refer to above
appears on the archive index pages, and instructs spiders not to index,
but to follow links on the page to the messages.  That is to prevent
Google from returning the index pages, which is not usually what
searchers want.

The message pages, on the other hand, have a tag of "index,nofollow"
which means they will be indexed, but other links within the message
won't be followed.

That's the standard Mailman "pipermail" configuration, and it appears to
be commonly accepted as the Right Way to handle list archives.

John