[time-nuts] 1PPS - real time clock

michael taylor mctylr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 10:21:54 EST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 8:56 AM, Steve Niles <n5en at wt.net> wrote:
> Newbie question: Does anyone know of a circuit that could use the 1PPS
> output of my Trimble Thunderbolt to drive a standalone real time clock
> display (hh:mm:ss)?

The 1PPS does not contain the time of day obviously, but could be a
1Hz timebase for a simple microcontroller (Microchip PIC, Atmel AVR,
PICAXE, etc.) .

An example of a simple time of day clock using a Microchip PIC,
Microchip Application Note 615.
<http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00615b.pdf>

For an example of using an external oscillator source for a timer see:
Microchip App Note 580.
<http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/00580c.pdf>

But it might make more sense to interface with the GPS module directly
such as this example (for a HP Z3801A).
<http://www.realhamradio.com/dclock.htm>

-Michael