[time-nuts] Of rubidium life and piggy-bank anemia....

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Thu Nov 29 21:22:07 EST 2007

So, is it a case where someone who has a Thunderbolt and a telco grade Rb
should use the TB for normal use when GPS is up and use it to resync the Rb
on occasion, so that the Rb can be used as a backup when the GPS goes out?

Should the Rb be phase locked to the TB with a very long time constant, and
if so, how long?

I guess the answer is: plot the Allan Variance of the Rb, knowing what that
of the TB is, and you know the answer :-)

The problem is, if you only have a TB and an Rb, how do you plot the Allan
Variance? Borrow tvb's Cesium?

In favor of the TB, I may point out that the power consumption of a Rb
oscillator is not negligible, compared to that of most GPSDOs. If you are
concerned about heat or power consumption, you may want to consider that.

Didier KO4BB