[time-nuts] Digital clock competition

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Thu Nov 29 21:29:29 EST 2007

Personally, I think the choice of LED display for such a project is a poor
one. You can get LCD displays for less than $15 if you look a little bit,
and the power consumption will be much lower, which will make a number of
other things easier and the end product more desirable, such as being able
to run on batteries, which would be well aligned with modern trends. For
such a project, it seems that a TCXO approach makes more sense than an OCXO.
The XO and its temperature compensation could be precalibrated against a
known good reference, and the end product would be stable and have low power
consumption. A simple microcontroller would divide the crystal, drive the
LCD, and do the temperature compensation.

When is the due date for the project submissions?

Didier KO4BB