[time-nuts] from Sputnik to CD

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Oct 8 17:02:24 EDT 2007

In message <001101c809e9$2a8c5910$0800a8c0 at pc52>, "Tom Van Baak" writes:

>It's also interesting when two list members disagree by so
>many tens of dB, so I'm hoping David and PHK can settle
>this for us.

I doubt it, at the end of the day, much of this discussion will
boil down to "can you hear distortion or noise that is 80 dB or
more below signal level ?"

I'll maintain that one can't, and point to the numerous studies
showing this to be the case.

Whereas true audiophiles will argue that those studies are fatally
flawed, because the speakercables cost less than 100$ per inch ;-)

So I'm not going to say more in this debate, apart from quoting
the Danish/Norvegian playwright Holberg who said "Everybody is most
happy in his own nightcap" :-)