[time-nuts] Dumb question about SC-cut crystals

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Oct 22 17:32:51 EDT 2007

A lot of work has been done in this area under the
designator "Microprocessor Controlled Crystal Oscillator"
MCXO, which is probably not a really great name.
Anyway, they are non ovenized and use SC cuts.  I believe
the original FCS paper on them was around 1990.

Regarding turnover specifically:  many 10811 crystals
do not have turnovers.  Instead they have a broad range
of very low (but not zero) tempco.  There is nothing
magic about being at a turnover other than zero tempco.

Rick Karlquist N6RK