[time-nuts] Scopes and 1 PPS signals?

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Tue Oct 23 23:47:17 EDT 2007

Digital camera (Samsung D53, 5Mpx, 3x optical zoom, 2.4" LCD, was $88 at
WalMart last year) on a bipod, my arms :-)
Flash is turned off, scope contrast adjusted for normal use.

I have the Comm module for the TDS-210, and I have the GPIB controller and
John Miles' software, which I use with the spectrum analyzer. But, my main
computer is not very close to the lab bench, and the laptop is in another
room at the moment, so it's just easier to take the digital camera.

I bought my TDS-210 at a local hamfest a few years ago and I never regretted
it. It's a great little instrument.

I only have a couple of gripes with it: 1) the contrast voltage is not
temperature compensated, so you have to adjust it when you turn the scope
on, then a couple more times during the first few dozen minutes of
operation, then it will stay good forever, not a biggie.

2) the trigger point wants to be at the center of the screen, and if it's
not, it's going to be so many mS or uS from the center of the screen when
you adjust it for instance. From that point, if you change the time base,
the trigger point moves to remain at the same time delay from the center of
the screen. You can very rapidly have the trigger point a mile or so to the
left of the screen, so to speak, and that can be aggravating when you turn
the horizontal control knob to bring it back into the screen :-) I'm still
not used to it after many years. I wish we could set the scope to have the
trigger point at one or nine divisions, and it would not move when you
change the time base, like the old 468.

These are nothing major, the scope is great.

Didier KO4BB