[time-nuts] Parallel voltage regulators

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Oct 24 20:05:59 EDT 2007

Tom Clifton wrote:
> A question for those that might know (or have an
> opinion)...  I have in hand an LPRO rubidium reference
> that requires 1.7 amps at 24 volts while the oven
> warms, dropping to 500ma while it runs.
>
> Can I parallel three or four 7824 TO220 style 1 amp
> regulators with a quarter ohm half watt equalizing
> resistor on the output of each one?
>
> At maximum load there would be a quarter volt drop
> across the resistors and the LPRO is stated to be ok
> running on 16 to 32 volts.
>
> Tom

Hej Magnus

Since the output voltage range of a 7824 is 23 - 25V that arrangement
wont work very well unless you match all 7824's to within say 50mv or so
of the same output voltage and mount them on a common heat sink. If you
want to use a 3 terminal regulator why not just use an LM338 (plus a
couple of resistors to set the output voltage) or similar device?

Bruce