[time-nuts] HP 5370 socket problem fixed...

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sun Sep 2 19:50:36 EDT 2007

Well, I finally came around to replacing the sockets on one of my HP 5370A
counters.
I have two of these counters and both of them have had severe socket
problems.
The counters would work for a short while after wiggling the chips (EPROMs
and CPU) into the sockets, then fail again a few days later.
I used Deoxit ProGold on all EPROMs and the CPU (wiggling them in the socket
after application) and it made no difference.

Finally, I bought machined pin sockets from Mouser and replaced all the
EPROM and CPU sockets in one of the counters last week, and it is still
working...

I did not do the PLDs, I think there are 2 of them, because I forgot the buy
the narrower style of socket, but I don't see any reason to spare them, they
use the same style of contact.

It was very easy to remove the old sockets using a good desoldering iron
from work.

If you have an HP 5370A that is acting up intermittently, I recommend the
replacement.

Didier KO4BB