[time-nuts] Fwd: FAASafety.gov - General Information "Terminationof 121.5...

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sat Sep 8 22:30:14 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/7/2007 17:17:20 Pacific Daylight Time, k3xs at arrl.net
writes:

>Truthfully, although as a private pilot upgrading to a more modern  ELT
>beacon will eventually cost me money personally, the advantages of  the
>new systems are overwhelming.

>The VHF ELT system was  fine for its time, but its time is long past.
>It doesn't have the same  excuse for continuing that LORAN does.

Well, there are some advantages to the older units as well: the old ELT's
fire up on impact automatically. I rent planes from time to time, and I am
pretty sure that the owners won't upgrade unless they are forced to by FAA
regulations.

That means carrying a portable ELT with automatic engagement inside the
aircraft. But if that one goes off inside the plane acting as a Faraday cage,  can
it be sensed by the sats? Does it engage automatically if the pilot is
incapacitated etc? Does it engage if it's buffered from the impact forces by the
seats and pilot bag etc?

Also, the old ones allowed any pilot to partake in search and rescue. Now
only professionals with special receivers can get the signal.

I am sure Steve Fossett right now would love to have one of those 20+
volunteer private pilots looking for him pick up his 121.5MHz signal...

He probably even has one of those Breitling watches with the 121.5MHz
transmitter built-in...

The solution to this would be to keep the old 121.5MHz units inside the
aircrafts for volunteer air-patrol pickup, and to require all aircraft to have
the new units installed as well, preferrably with GPS since a GPS receiver costs
 less than $10 these days in mass production.

bye,
Said