[time-nuts] time-nuts, frequency counters

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Wed Sep 26 18:30:28 EDT 2007

Hi CHazlitt:

Yes, rubidum standards drift with time.  There's usually a pot and/or an
external fine tune voltage input to make fine adjustments.  But over many years
the drift will excedd the capability of the pot.  The unit your have and a
number of the modern units, like the Stanford Research PRS10, have a
programmable divider so you can get the pot/external input back in range.
http://www.prc68.com/I/PRS10.shtml

The Stanford Research SR620 counter comes close to what you're asking for.  It
has 16 digits and depending on mode display:
Frequency: 	GHz1, MHz3, kHz3, Hz3, mHz3, uHz3 = total of 16 digits
Time:		      sec3, ms 3, us3, ns 3, ps 3 = total of 15 digits
The digits are always in the same place, i.e. the front panel has the above
labels directly below the digits, there are no units indicators to cause confusion.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com
http://www.precisionclock.com