[time-nuts] ntpd not talking to gpsd

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Wed Apr 2 17:30:20 EDT 2008

Quoth Chris Kuethe at 2008-04-03 06:28...
<snip/>
> Waitaminnit... If you're using the OpenBSD package, I disabled the
> ntpshm/pps stuff in favour of activating the nmea(4) line discipline
> to drive openntpd. I suppose you could adjust the port's makefile, but
> I've not actually tested the ntp.org daemon.

OK, I think it's time for me to back-track and try to go to a 'known
good' setup.

Firstly, I'll dump off some NMEA data and examine it per Hal's
suggestion to make sure that it's not all being flagged as bad.

Then, on an i386 machine (to eliminate any possible issues with the
SPARC system), I will try to duplicate what Chris is running.  Can we
confirm that this is just nmeaattach and the shipped ntpd with OpenBSD
(is that OpenNTPd) and that ntpd.conf just needs to contain:

listen on *
sensor *

I assume that any initialisation of the GPS module would need to be done
by an external application run before nmeaattach is called.  The VP
seems to come up in NMEA mode, so I'll try that first after checking the
data quality.

If I am still stuck doing this with the Oncores, I'll just leave it
until I've got the required connectors and hook it into one of the
Trimbles which just 'do' NMEA on the second port without any of this
messing around.

Just had a thought - what NMEA sentences need to be turned on for
nmeaattach and gpsd to behave properly?  By default, the Oncores don't
put out anything much apart from satellite data.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/
Personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/