[time-nuts] Oncore batteries (and others)

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Sun Apr 6 03:00:15 EDT 2008

Hi Folks

<snip/>
> http://www.synergy-gps.com/content/view/42/89/
<snip/>
> http://www.rabel.org/archives/Motorola_Oncore/
<snip/>

Thanks for those - I put a few of those in my library and have also
downloaded winOncore12 - which also can't bring that one GT+ back to
life, even with the battery removed.  It now has 'dead' written on it in
red marker pen.  If anyone within a reasonable cost postal distance
wants it to try to revive it or whatever, let me know.

The other GT+ has enough battery to retain its settings for a minute or
so - but reverts to default state afterwards so I won't worry about
removing the battery.  (I was only planning to remove them to prevent
the devices from getting into an indeterminate state.)

Interesting idea from Morris about putting that Schottky diode between
pin 1 and the positive point of the internal battery.  I'll consider
this if I ever decided that I need battery backup.

Now that I've got the one GT+ and the VP talking to me, I've examined
the GPRMC records per Hal's suggestion about looking for A/V records.
Interestingly enough, the VP puts out nothing but V records and the GT+
puts out nothing but A records.  It was the VP that I had talking to
gpsd, so maybe that would explain why things weren't working properly.
I'll do some longer testing tomorrow and see if the VP can give me any A's.

Thanks again to all for the help.

Time I was gone - very nearly beer o'clock.  (Not precise timekeeping,
but important.)

Cheers

0700 UTC
137'44.5225,-33'59.0904
Can see PRNs: 02,04,05,09,10,12,24,29,30,31

--
Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/