[time-nuts] Digital TV signals

Stanley Reynolds stanley_reynolds at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 15 19:50:29 EDT 2008

I think you are talking about DVB-T  this quote from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T

"Time and frequency synchronization: the digital base band signal is searched to identify the beginning of frames and blocks. Any problems on the frequency of the components of the signal are corrected, too. The property that the guard interval at the end of the symbol is placed also at the beginning is exploited to find the beginning of a new OFDM symbol. On the other hand, continual pilots (whose value and position is determined in the standard and thus known by the receiver) determine the frequency offset suffered by the signal. This frequency offset might have been caused by Doppler effect, inaccuracies in either the transmitter or receiver clock, and so on."

This would imply that it is possible but haven't seen a device, we have ATSC here and the government is making cheap converters available maybe I should explore one.

GPS based standard would be the most common now.