[time-nuts] Disciplining Rubidium

Mike Feher mfeher at eozinc.com
Thu Apr 24 09:04:28 EDT 2008

I am not sure the floor would be the same. I expect it would be about 6
dB lower from what I remember. This is mostly due to the Q of the
resonator itself. As I recall, about 25 years ago when I was really
concerned about close in phase noise due to the low data rates concerned
and the multiplication up to 44 GHz, when we went from a 5 MHz to a 10
MHz oscillator the manufacturers wanted a 6 dB relief in the
specification. Also it seems to me in the early 70's, to the best of my
recollection, oscillators at around 3 MHz gave the best carrier to noise
ratio on a per hertz basis. - Mike

Mike B. Feher
EOZ Inc.
89 Arnold Blvd.