[time-nuts] Disciplining Rubidium

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri Apr 25 02:41:52 EDT 2008

Hi Tom,

true, that decision has to be made, and there is probably some cut-off  phase
difference where the 1PPS position is just reset.

But I would have expected the PRS10 designers to bound the frequency change
to something less than several parts to the E-10 when the loop time constant
is  set to 7 hours. Even a frequency error of 1.0E-011 would have drifted the
1PPS  at a rate of 36ns per hour, so by the 7'th hour it would have been back
on track  (since I set a 7 hour loop time constant that would have worked well).

I just did not expect such a drastic frequency adjustment from the Rb, and
would think most people would not mind a slower drift rate while also having
less of a frequency error. After all the 1PPS was "off course" for a long time
already anyways - otherwise the error would have been much smaller.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 4/24/2008 20:48:04 Pacific Daylight Time,