[time-nuts] GPS shielding by power lines?

David Ackrill dave.g0dja at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Aug 10 08:05:47 EDT 2008

Arnold Tibus wrote:

> As long as the system is kept balanced a 3 phase energy transport
> system does not need a 4th wire as the sum of all the currents in the 3 wires
> (phase shift 120deg between the wires) is zero!
> regards
> Arnold, DK2WT

That is true Arnold, but in the UK (and in some other countries) we
don't always have a completely balanced load.

There are cases where two phase 11kV lines are run out to farms and
other rural houses and, often the equipment connected at the farm/rural
supplies isn't properly balanced either.

The unbalanced current is connected to earth at the HV/LV transformer,
as described previously. :-)

Probably getting a bit OT now...

Dave (G0DJA)