[time-nuts] I want a good micro-controller

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 16 21:15:38 EDT 2008

Begin rant {

I have been programming stuff since 1970 (IBM1130 in high school).  I have programmed well over 100 different machines in far more than that many languages.  You would be hard pressed to find a machine architecture/real lanuage that I have not used.  I also have an EE degree and have designed several commercially available computers (and a couple of successful ones at that).

I have done some pretty incredible things with PIC chips.  I used them mainly because of their very predictable execution time per instruction.  Apps included generating eight simultaneous channels of real time video syncs/time code overlays,  a 3DES encrypted full duplex audio radio with 32 channels of PWM I/O and telemetry,  the complete flight control system for an autonomous aircraft,  etc.  One application replaced over 100 TTL/PAL packages with a single 18 pin PIC.  The  TVB clock divider is a perfect application of a PIC progammed in assembly language (use the Parallax syntax,  not that horrid Microchip babel).

That said,  PICs are a sorry, miserable excuse for a microprocessor.  Paged memory is just so last millenium.  It should have died an unlamented death in the 60's.  Compilers and programmers waste a huge amount of time and CPU cycles fiddling with pages, etc.  Same goes for the 8051's and their demon spawn.  You can gussy up a toad with all the lipstick in the world,  and it's still a toad.

If you are going to program a micro in C,  go with an AVR.  They are not perfect,  but at least they don't croak.

End rant }