[time-nuts] Voltage standards

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Dec 1 00:27:54 UTC 2008

The thing that got me was the word 'really' in Bruce's statement.  It
read like someone who had tried it, had limited success, but in the
end wound up believing that while possible, it wasn't really
practical.  After thinking that, I couldn't imagine that somebody on
the list hadn't tried it for some reason or another over the years.

After all, as you say, a fine bottle of scotch isn't that expensive
when it comes to the pursuit of your obsessions :)

Warner

In message: <C5586E81.2FF3%James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov>
            "Lux, James P" <james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov> writes:
: Exactly.. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this list that has contemplated home use of liquid helium or even making the stuff.  Hey, if Onnes could do it 100 years ago, so can we.
:
: I assume the cryogen isn't being used for superconductivity in this case, but for just being cold.  In which case, perhaps LH2 or LN2 would serve almost as well.  The latter, particularly, is pretty manageable (i.e. You don't have to make it yourself).
:
: Cost wise, I like the snippet I read in Scientific American a decade or so ago.. LN2 is the cost of milk, LHe is the cost of fine scotch whisky
: Is a obsessive precision worth a bottle of scotch?
:
: Jim
: