[time-nuts] VRefs - I'm a bigger Voltnut than a timenut..

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 04:25:47 UTC 2008

Hi,
Temperature is one quantity that is (or was) determined by physical
properties of substances.
I have a platinum resistance thermometer, but alone it is useless.
The simplest way of using it is to connect it in 4 wire mode to a HP
3468A multimeter,
and it measures the resistance with a resolution of about 1mK.
Connect it to another HP 3468A and it varies by less than 1mK.
So the HP 3468A measurement is robust.
Use a widely disseminated formula for the resistance of thermal pure
platinum
and it seems to measure temperature.
Construct an ice-point cell with a dewar flask, shaved ice, a
stirring rod and a syphon tube
and we seem to have calibration to better than 10mK.
I then built a hypsometer to boil water in.
The temperature of the steam did not shift 1mK in several hours.
But you have to use a barometer (Fortin pattern) to find the
atmospheric pressure,
correct for the density of mercury,
correct for the expansion of the scale,
get an estimate for local gravity from
the Geoid, apply an altitude correction.
The result was that a $10 platinum resistance thermometer seems to be
accurate to 1mK
but the ice-point calibration uncertainty may add plus or minus 5mK.

The big difficulty with temperature measurement is that you need
circulating thermostat
baths to immerse things in to compare temperatures to any accuracy.
You only need
one or two of those in your shack to have no room for your time
standards, voltage standards etc.
cheers, Neville Michie