[time-nuts] My 5062C tale

Tim Schulz technoid_tim at comcast.net
Mon Dec 1 04:43:41 UTC 2008

Greetings, I thought I would update the list on the repair progress on
my 5062C.  Some of you might recall that I had queried the list several
months ago for troubleshooting help.  I would like to really thank Corby
for the troubleshooting tips and Stan for the power supply page scans
from the service manual.  It turns out that I had a dead ion pump high
voltage power supply, but it took me a while to get the diagnosis.  I
had thought it was the 18v power supply card.  This particular unit is a
Navy 1695A/U badged model with the battery backup and all the optional
features.  I got it off ebay about a year ago, and had been working
pretty well for 8 months prior to the failure.  I had made an assumption
that the 18V regulator card was bad because it looked seriously
overheated, but the only way to know was to pull the bottom cover and
probe the motherboard from below.  HP used these damn tinnerman nuts on
the brackets to secure the sides of the cover and all of my screws were
over torqued and the threads cut such that there was no way that the
bottom was coming off without a fight.  In the mean time I won another
5062C carcass of ebay missing its Cs tube but otherwise powering up and
putting out signals.  I think that "I'll just swap 18V modules", but
predictably that doesn't work and I have to drill out rivets holding the
brackets and eventually figure out that the enabling signal from the ion
pump power supply is not active.  The carcass has a ion pump power
supply present, but it too is dead.  These are in little soldered shut,
deep-drawn cans, so I carefully cut them open with a dremel moto tool
and cut off wheels.  The innards look like a 17KHz switcher driving a
pulse engineering transformer module and then a final (I assume) potted
voltage multiplier.  I think the voltage multiplier is dead.  Anyway, I
have a 2.5Kv 50ma power supply from an old IR scope tube and I wired
that up though an old 100uA FS meter movement to the connector of the
power supply module.  I also jumpered a resistor bridge onto the 18V PS
enable signal line and reinstalled the module into the 5062C.  I had to
put a variac on the input to the HV supply because it turned out to be
too lightly loaded and the voltage was at 6Kv, arcing over to a near by
cap.  There was an initial pretty high current reading, but it very
quickly dropped to what looks like close to zero.  I powered the
standard up and it and would give me a green light, and would stay green
as long as I was in the shop, but the alarm light comes on and the green
light goes out overnight.  All of the meter readings seemed to be normal
for the 1st two days though the 2nd harmonic reading bounces between +25
and +35 at about a 2hz rate.  Yesterday when I checked on it, the ion
beam current had crept up past 50, so I turned it down to 30 and made a
1st attempt to tweek the frequency adjustment.  Can't say that it made
any difference, still got an alarm on the overnight run. I did find a
smallish ionizer power supply that is flyback based and runs on 5v in
the junk box that I was thinking about as a substitute.  The original
standard says 2.6Kv on the PCB, and the newer model carcass says 3Kv -
is the ion pump voltage critical?  Also, my Cs tube, PN 05062-60500, has
an SN of 1516A0596.  I am assuming that its an old tube and that the
only replacements will come from other machines... I looked at the FTS
web site, didn't see any indication that they support it.  I was
wondering what the remaining tube life might be and should I just keep
the standard powered down most of the time with only the ion pump
active.  Anyway, thanks again for the help!  tim