[time-nuts] M12 100 Hz vs. 1PPS measurements

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 11:04:48 UTC 2008

/tvb

Nice work, I was afraid you had dropped the subject.

There is a chance that the Allen noise ripple using the 100Hz can be reduced or eliminated
if you have a processor in the system.
The short of it is that every once in a while the 100 Hz syncs up for a short time to the 1 Hz
which itself has synced up to something else and is at the wrong value. The sawtooth correction
knows that the 1 Hz is at the wrong value and reports it as such so this does not effect the
anything if using the Sawtooth correction.

When this does happen the 100 Hz is at the wrong value also and becomes no better than
using the one Hz signal during this short period, and so during this time it reverts back to the
basic performance of the 1 Hz. You can see this sync effect happening on your 100 Hz
phase data at the 9 seconds

This condition is very easy to detect and correct for, and if the processor did compensate for it,
I have found that it helps a lot with fast loops, probable no big  deal with the slower loops.

One other thing,  If someone where using a really crappy OSC with noise so bad that it that needed
an update rate at was greater than 1 Hz, then the 100 Hz will give far better performance than either the
1 sec or the corrected sawtooth.  Of course no one in there right mind would use that poor of an osc,
that is unless they had some weird and different reason for doing it.

IT would be interesting to see how much improvement could be obtained in some GPSDO, if  the phase
detectors errors where eliminated.

Have Fun, You sure do nice work and make nice plots.
WarrenS